Carb up with Marathon Chicken and Roast Vegetable PastaPosted on 04 May 17
Marathon Chicken and Roast Vegetable Pasta
Executive Chef Mardy Ra
Serves 4 – 6
I created this recipe with competitive-sports in mind. Being an active athlete myself,
I understand that it takes more than just determination and training to excel. A nutritious and wholesome diet goes a long way and
I hope this will nourish your body to help you with your Marathon journey. Want more carbs? Up the pasta, no problem!
This dish works great as a make-ahead salad, too.
16 oz. whole grain fusilli pasta, or your favourite
4 – 6 oz boneless, skinless Free Range chicken breasts
¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
½ bunch fresh basil
1 small package organic flat leaf parsley
1 organic lemon, zested and juiced
3 Tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
1 small Italian eggplant, cubed
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 fennel bulb, shaved or slivered
1 medium zucchini, cubed
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Place the eggplant in a medium bowl, season with sea salt and pepper and drizzle with 2-3 tbs of olive oil. Toss well to coat.
- On a parchment paper lined baking sheet, tip the seasoned eggplant and spread out evenly.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes, stirring twice.
- In the same bowl, place the red bell pepper, fennel bulb, and zucchini. Season with sea salt and pepper and drizzle with 2 tbs of olive oil. Toss well to coat the vegetables.
- When the eggplant is nearly tender, tip the remaining vegetables onto the baking tray. Stir well to combine. Return to the oven and bake for 10-15 more minutes, stir twice.
- When the vegetables are lightly browned, remove from the oven, set aside to cool. Reduce the oven to temperature 375F.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, cook the pasta according to the directions on the package. Drain well. Tip onto a baking tray and drizzle with
¼ cup of olive oil, toss well to coat, set aside to cool.
- Preheat an ovenproof non-stick pan in the oven.
- Season the chicken with sea salt and pepper to taste, and drizzle with a bit of olive oil.
- With an oven proof mitt, remove the preheated pan from the oven, set over medium heat. Place the seasoned chicken in the pan and brown on one side for 3. Turn chicken and transfer the pan back into the oven to finish cooking ~ about 12 – 16 minutes depending on the thickness of the breast meat. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl place the cooled pasta and the roast vegetables. Toss well to combine.
- Cut rested chicken into cubes, and add to pasta mixture. Add chopped fresh herbs, balsamic vinegar, and the lemon juice and zest. Toss well.
- Taste for season and adjust to taste with sea salt and pepper.
- Present on a platter and share with marathon friends!