Yacht SafetyPosted on 19 May 17
Our Number One Priority
While you might think that preparing the finest food and providing the best service is our top priority, those are actually number two and three on our list. Safety is number one.
When you and your guests arrive, rarely might you think about the layers of preparation, certification or inspections that we, as a passenger carrying vessel, might be required to attain. In our opinion, you should not have to think about it, as it is the top priority for the owners, Captain and crew, of Pacific Yacht Charters.
A few ‘did-you-know’ facts:
- Every charter is required to have our Captain, First Mate and Engineer on board. All these employees of Pacific Yacht Charters
have certifications as required by Transport Canada.
- In addition to the Bridge Crew, we are required to have 2-MED certified staff members on every charter. Marine Emergency Duties is a
4-day long course offered by the Marine Institute of BCIT. Topics covered include: understanding all the basic lifestyle equipment on board the yacht; fire safety with real fire fighting exercises; donning and swimming/floating with a life preserver; launching a life raft, and how to climb into it from the water. For those of us who have taken the course, it was a real benefit to understanding the layers of safety on board.
- There is one life jacket for every passenger on board up to our licensed capacity of 300 passengers, which includes crew, Galley, serving and bar staff. Life jackets for children are in addition to this required number.
- The Pacific Yacht has 4 life rafts on board. They are located on the transom at the stern of the yacht. Each can hold up to 75 passengers, again totaling the maximum number of passengers permitted on board.
- The Pacific Yacht is inspected once a year by Lloyd’s Registry, part of our certification and licensing from Transport Canada. Inspections review the physical condition of the yacht, the equipment (lifesaving equipment, the navigation system, records keeping, Fire & Safety Plan and more).
Maintaining a safe and sound yacht ensures you and your guests can enjoy our charter in the utmost comfort and safety.